Ice Cream on a Rainy day

"Okay, I guess that made sense. I want you to submit the code by EOD."

"Okay, Prasanna, I will get it done," said Anjali. She dropped the team's call and threw her headphones aside. She rose from the chair and knuckled her bones.

A year back, Anjali got placed in one of the Top MNC after being one year of joblessness and that one year taught her tough lessons, which made this job more important to her.

Being jobless had been difficult for her, but getting placed and holding onto a crucial job role is more complicated than she imagined.

"Am I fit for this job? Maybe it was a bit of luck. What if I lose this job? I had to save up for my sister's marriage and build a home for my parents", she pondered with such questions and felt disappointed while the computer ran the iteration of code.

"Iteration complete, successfully failed" her computer returned the message on the screen. "No surprise in that, I guess my PC too started its sarcasm on me, successfully  F A I L E D, anyway another day another night out, damn it!" she said and punched the desk. She pulled her chair closer to the desk and made a mental note of the rechecks.

Anjali found it very annoying to be at home for the past few months. She hardly spoke to her parents, let alone being nicer to them. She is still unsure if this WFH is any good. Sure, WFH saved a ton of time, rather than getting stuck in city traffic, but after being locked among four walls for almost a year, it started to tax on her productivity, her Circadian cycle, of course, and what not, she thought.

"We need to talk, call me," her phone chimed in with multiple texts from Rohit. It's been a week since she spoke to her boyfriend. "Okay, now this is affecting my relationship too, can't help, got to meet deadlines", she thought and put her phone on silent.

"Your salary has been credited," the email read by HR. "Yeah, thanks, that's what I am working my ass off", she thought to herself.

It started to pour outside with thunderstorms. She saved her work and thought it was better to shut down the PC for a while.

"Chinni, lunch is ready", her mom shouted from the kitchen.

"I have work to do, mom. I will have it later. You carry on."

"I know your brain doesn't work well when you are hungry", said her mom authoritatively

"Stop shouting at me, mom. I am not a kid anymore, just leave me alone".

Her mom was taken aback. She never heard Anjali speak about that arrogance. She must be stressed out due to work. God help this poor kid, she thought.

"Lakshmi, see what I brought for Chinni," said Anjali's father to her mom.

"Ice cream in the rain? Are you mad or what? Look at your daughter. She is not even ready to have lunch", her mom shouted at him.

"Wait, let me talk to her."

"Hey Chinni, see what I brought for you," her father said, knocking on the door with a surprised look.

I am busy right now, dad. I don't have time for your surprises, she blurted out to her father and pulled the keyboard to resume her work.

Her father remained silent for a while at the door.

Childhood memories flashed into her, and she remembered how her father stealthy brought her ice cream on a rainy day without her mom and sister noticing.

She instantly regretted being harsh to her parents. She stood from her chair and hugged her dad, and said," Dad, I'm sorry, I shouldn't have shouted at you".

"It's okay, my dear, you know how proud I'm that my daughter is helping me in paying bills and saving up for her elder sister's marriage. I feel grateful". His eyes misted over.

She hugged him tightly and cried.

Her sister mumbled from behind,  "okay, enough of this drama, where is my part of the ice cream".

Four of them laughed and sat for lunch.


image credits: <a href='https://pngtree.com/so/Creative'>Creative png from pngtree.com/</a>


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Pellichupulu Date

Love in inverted schedule

Packing Happiness