Packing Happiness

Last night, I found myself in a bit of a rush to send off the skating shoes I'd bought for my nephew. Staff at the RTC parcel service refused to take them unless they were properly boxed up. It was already 8:45 in the evening, and with closing time at 9, I was running out of options. There were no department stores nearby, so in a bit of desperation, I hurried into a nearby PAN shop.




The shopkeeper, a man in his sixties, took one look at the shoes and exclaimed with excitement, "Aren't these skating shoes?" It wasn't surprising to me that he recognized them; it was popularised in mainstream movies. But what caught my attention was the genuine joy he expressed as he carefully packed the shoes. Despite his shop being crowded with customers, he didn't hesitate to roll up his sleeves and handle the task with utmost professionalism.

During our conversation, he shared with me his longing for skating. He told me how he had always dreamt of owning a pair himself but never got around to it. Then, as life would have it, he wished to buy a pair for his son but held back out of fear of him getting hurt. Back in those days, there weren't many proper training facilities available, and time just slipped away. Yet, here he was, years later, standing in his shop, filled with happiness at the sight of those skating shoes in his hands.

It was a simple moment, but it spoke volumes about the power of unfulfilled dreams and the unexpected joys life can bring.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Pellichupulu Date

Love in inverted schedule